Remedies for Hairloss
Here’s a list of easy and effective home remedies for hair loss. Most of the ingredients should be easily available in your local market.
The Magic of Nature
1. Hair Oil Massage
The first step that you can take to reduce hair loss is to massage your scalp with appropriate hair oil. Proper hair and scalp massage will increase blood flow to the hair follicles, condition the scalp, and enhance the strength of your hair’s roots. It will also promote relaxation and reduce feelings of stress.
You can use hair oils like coconut or almond oil, olive oil, castor oil, amla oil, or others. Add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to the base oil for better and faster results. Other types of oil that you can use are emu oil, argan oil, and wheat germ oil.
- Massage any of the hair oils mentioned above onto your hair and scalp by applying light pressure with your fingertips.
- Do this at least once a week.
2. Onion Juice / Garlic
This remedy is regarded as one of most effective and oldest ones. The reason behind is that it contains sulphur that boosts collagen production in the tissues and helps in the re-growth of hair. Don’t let its strong smell keep you away from using it, because it goes off just after one rinse.
- Cut a few slices of onion and squeeze out its juice (either by mashing it or grating it)
- Apply it on your scalp for about 10-15 minutes.
- Let it work its magic and then rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
Quick tip: Onion can also be used with honey as a hair mask.
- Mix together three tablespoons of onion juice and two tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- You can also add one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Apply this mixture onto your scalp and leave it on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it off and shampooing your hair.Repeat either of these remedies two or three times a week for several weeks.
Quick tip: You can substitute this with potato juice as well.
Garlic can be applied on the scalp by boiling it with coconut oil.
Massage the scalp with this potion, two to three times a week, for best results.
3. Coconut Milk
According to, Chairperson of Blossom Kochhar Group of Companies, Dr. Blossom Kochhar, the most effective remedy for natural hair growth is the use of coconut milk because it is rich in iron, potassium and essential fats.
- Take coconut milk from a fresh coconut (do not purchase the coconut milk – take it out meticulously from a fresh coconut).
- Add half a squeeze of lemon, 4 drops of essential lavender oil to it.
- Mix it thoroughly and apply it on your scalp, leave it on for 4-5 hours and then rinse it off.”
To make the treatment more effective, you can mix black pepper and powdered fenugreek seeds to the coconut milk before using it.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
This vinegar gently cleanses the scalp and maintains the pH balance of the hair thereby accelerating hair growth.
- Start for making a diluted solution by mixing 75ml of it in one litre of water for a larger batch or 15 ml of it to a cup of warm filtered water for a smaller batch.
- Apply this solution as a final rinse after washing your hair. This will also give your hair an added shine and boost hair growth.
Quick tip: Mix it with sage tea instead of water.
It is mostly used as a natural hair colour or conditioner but henna has properties that can strengthen your hair from the root. If you combine it with other ingredients, it makes for a better hair pack.
- Take 250 ml of mustard oil in a tin can and add 60g of washed and dried henna leaves.
- Now boil the mixture the leaves burn and then filter the oil.
- Massage your scalp with it on a regular basis and store the rest in an airtight bottle.
- You can make another henna pack by mixing dry henna powder with curd.
- Apply it on scalp and hair and wash off after one hour. If you desire beautiful hair, try these other home-made henna hair packs.
Also called shoe flower, hibiscus nourishes hair, prevents premature greying, treats dandruff and also controls hair fall.
- Crush a few flowers and mix sesame or coconut oil to make a paste.
- Apply on the scalp and hair and leave it on for a few hours.
- Rinse off with cold water using a mild shampoo.
- Add 10 Chinese Hibiscus flowers to two cups of coconut oil.
- Heat the solution until charred. Strain it to collect the oil.
- Apply the oil on your hair before going to bed. Wash your hair in the morning.
- Repeat this a few times a week.
Beetroot juice contains carbohydrates, protein, potassium, phosphorus, calcium and vitamins B and C. All these nutrients are essential for healthy hair growth.
- Include fresh beetroot juice in your diet. In addition to that, spinach juice, alfalfa juice, lettuce juice, or carrot juice will help keep your hair healthy.
- Alternatively, grind a few beetroot leaves (boiled in water) along with henna and apply the paste on your scalp. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes before rinsing it out. Repeat several times a week.
8. Make your Own Egg Mask
This home remedy is used globally for quick and natural hair growth
Eggs are rich in proteins which help in the formation of new hair. It is also rich in sulphur, zinc, iron, selenium, phosphorous and iodine.
- For the egg mask, separate one egg white in a bowl and add one teaspoon of olive oil ( you can also use grape seed oil or lavender oil )and honey.
- Make a paste of it and apply it all over your hair and scalp for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cool water and some shampoo.
Quick tip: Egg masks work wonders for a glowing and healthy skin.
9. Pigeon Pea or Red Gram
Application of fine and thick paste of red gram or pigeon pea is an effective way of curing hair loss, naturally.
10. Lime and Black Pepper Seeds
Seeds of lime and black pepper, when ground finely and applied on the scalp, prove to be a very good cure for averting hair loss.
This herb is also an age-old remedy for hair growth problems. It contains proteins and nicotinic acid; protein-enriched diets have been known to encourage stimulation of hair growth.
- Add a tablespoon of this herb and water in a grinder till a smooth paste it formed.
- Add a little coconut oil (or milk) to it and apply on your hair and scalp for half an hour.
- Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
Not only will this remedy help you for hair growth but it will also protect the natural colour of your hair.
12. Camphor and Curd
- Take an equal amount of curd and camphor.
- Mix them and apply on the bald patches.
- Let it dry for at least two hours and then, wash.
This treatment helps to fight with the problem of hair loss and baldness.
13. Coriander Leaves
- Take fresh coriander leaves and make a thick paste with it.
- Apply it on the scalp to cure the problem of hair loss, naturally
14. Geranium or Rosemary Leaves
Rosemary herb is believed to have properties, which can keep hair healthy and luscious.
- Mix one part of rosemary oil with two parts of almond oil.
- Massaging the scalp with it for twenty minutes a day can prove to be beneficial.
This is an excellent remedy for hair loss in women.
- Boil geranium or rosemary leaves with water
- Filter the liquid,
- Utilize it as a hair rinse.
This is a good natural remedy for curing hair loss at home.
Quick tip: Boil rosemary with potatoes in water alternatively.
15. Ash Gourd
It also is an effective remedy for stopping hair loss.
16. Green Tea
Now you have the perfect solution for those used tea bags that you discard daily. as you know Green tea, is super rich in antioxidants and that helps in promoting hair growth and preventing hair loss.
- Apply warm green tea (from the used tea bags) over your scalp and leave it for an hour.
- Wash it off with cool water.
Quick Tip: Alternatively, you can substitute with Chinese hibiscus.
17. Curry Leaves
Curry leaves are a natural home remedy to treat baldness.
Arnica augments the blood circulation and promotes hair growth
- Mix Arnica tincture with warm water.
- Apply twice in a day in the form of a cream, ointment, or hair rinse to soothe the problem of hair loss..
This is another effective remedy for hair loss in women.
Safflower is considered to be an excellent herb for widening blood vessels.
Massaging the scalp for twenty minutes with the oil of safflower proves to be a great stimulant for hair growth and augments blood flow.
20. Indian Gooseberry (amla)
This magical fruit is a powerhouse of nutrients. It’s rich in Vitamin C and that accelerates hair growth.
- mix 2 teaspoons of amla powder or juice
- with equal amounts of lime juice and let it dry.
- Rinse it off with some warm water. It will also prevent hair pigmentation.
Quick tip: Amla is also helpful when mixed with honey.
- Boil some dried amla in coconut oil till the oil gets black.
- Massaging the scalp with this oil will prove to be very effective. Amla can also be used alternatively by making its paste with shikakai.
- Apply the thick paste and wash it after a few minutes.
Quick tip: Avoid shikakai if you have dry hair.
21. Indian Lilac (Neem)
Neem is a plant, which is ornamented with all the essential qualities. It is anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-diabetic, sedative, and antiseptic in nature. It is not only useful in diseases but is also an excellent home remedy for hair loss.
- Boil leaves of neem in water until the water remains half.
- Let it cool and wash your hair
- Do this once in a week with this water.
Flaxseeds are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids that can prevent further hair loss and encourage hair growth.
- To manage hair loss, consume one tablespoon of freshly ground flaxseeds with a glass of water daily in the morning.
Quick tip: You can also add flaxseeds to your salads, soups, smoothies, and other dishes.
- You can also simply take flaxseed oil, or apply it onto your hair. When used as hair oil, flaxseed oil can help prevent hair loss as well as strengthen your hair.
23. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains enzymes that directly promote healthy hair growth. Also, its alkalizing properties can help bring the scalp and hair’s pH to a more desirable level, which can greatly promote hair growth.
Regular use can also relieve scalp itching, reduce scalp redness and inflammation, add strength and luster to hair, and alleviate dandruff. Both aloe vera gel and juice will work.
- Apply aloe vera gel or juice onto the scalp.
- Leave it on for a few hours and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process three to four times a week.
Use of aloe vera with triphala powder for 3-6 months also treats hair loss.
You can also consume one tablespoon of aloe vera juice daily on an empty stomach to enjoy better hair growth.
24. Licorice Root
Licorice root is another herb that prevents hair loss and further damage to the hair.
The mollifying properties of licorice roots open the pores, soothe the scalp and help get rid of irritations like dry flakes. This remedy is good for dandruff, hair loss and baldness.
- Add one tablespoon of ground licorice root to one cup milk with a quarter teaspoon saffron. Mix it thoroughly.
- Apply the paste on bald patches at bedtime and leave it on overnight.
- In the morning, wash your hair.
- Follow this remedy once or twice a week.
Apply ground liquorice, mixed with milk and a pinch of saffron, for hair loss treatment.
You can also take licorice internally in the form of licorice tea three times a day.
25. Homemade Hair Packs
- Pack 1: Mixture of aloe vera, shikakai, amla, and neem powder can be applied to get thick and lustrous hair.
- Pack 2: Paste of henna, egg whites and curd together stops hair fall.
- Pack 3: Hair pack, prepared by mixing together olive oil, honey, and cinnamon, is also an effective hair growth pack
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are based on personal opinions. We are not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article.
The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of the site and we do not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.